Re: Kernel version / upgrade on buildd

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 08:40:15PM +0200, Philipp Frauenfelder wrote:
> Bug http://bugs.debian.org/287287 also stroke one of my
> packages: http://bugs.debian.org/136130 , namely ScaLAPACK:
> http://packages.debian.org/scalapack

> To put it short: older kernels break ldd and therefore some
> packages cannot be built on sparc.

> I would like to build it again on a buildd with a recent kernel
> 2.6.8-6 or up on sparc. How do I find out if a buildd is running
> such a kernel?

You ask, and get told that there are none.

> One method would be to have

> Build-Depends: kernel-image-2.6.8-sparc [sparc]

No, you absolutely should not do this.  kernel depends only make sense for
kernel modules; kernel *build*-depends never make sense.  Installing a
kernel image in a buildd chroot isn't going to make your package buildable,
and this will just annoy people trying to build it elsewhere (e.g., on
systems with fixed 2.4.27 kernels).

Unless there is specific demand for scalapack on sparc, I think it's best to
just accept that this package is not portable to sparc with the current
generation of stable kernels.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer