Re: How to handle config.guess/sub?

On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 03:52:21PM +1200, Carlos Z.F. Liu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In one of my packages, I relibtoolized it according the method on
> http://people.debian.org/%7Ekeybuk/libtool-updating.html. And then,
> generate a patch called 00_relibtoolize.patch. This patch will replace
> config.guess and config.sub with a new version.
>
> But, if I build the package, CDBS will replace these two files again.
> The problem is that config.(guess|sub).cdbs-orig are same as
> config.guess and config.sub in the final result. Is this correct?
> Should I remove config.guess and config.sub from 00_relibtoolize.patch
> and let cdbs handle them?

I think cdbs is just totaly broken when it comes to that.  First,
it's going to update those files itself when you add a build-
dependency on autotools-dev.  Note that libtool also has a
depedency on autotools-dev and libtoolize updates them too.

cdbs also doesn't properly clean up after itself, leaving those
.cdbs-orig files around instead of putting them back.  It's
supposed to put them back to minimize the diff, but it now ends
up making it even larger because those .cdbs-orig and up in the
diff too.

I recommend that you do not put those changed files in the patch
but instead build depend on autotools-dev, and clean up after it.

You could also build-depend on libtool + auto*, and do the
libtool update at build time.  cdbs has even has some options for
it, but they leave even more behind.

Kurt