[RFH] Dealing with HTML templates in Web Software

Hi, Mentors.

I maintain the Bugzilla package and am wondering what is the best way to handle templates for web applications.

Indeed, managing those files correctly might be not as easy as it may seems in the first place.

I was first asked[1] to provide template files as "conffiles" and thus, ship them under /etc/bugzilla/templates in order to prompt diffs to the user on upgrades.

The problem, which is underlined later in the #305523 trhead, is that templates may be rather different from one upstream version to another (say 2.16 -> 2.18) and then, the merge becomes really hard to do by hand, and if not done correctly, would break the application.

So on the first hand, it would be decent to put templates files under /etc/bugzilla, in order not to break user's customizations ; and on the other hand, major upgrades could lead to dangerous user-unfriendly merges.

What would you advice me to do?
What is the best location for Web applications template files?
Is that issue already discussed somewhere so I can read previous thoughts about that?

Thanks.

1: Bug #305523 - http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=305523

--
Alexis Sukrieh <sukria@sukria.net>