Re: Policy about command names

This one time, at band camp, Bartosz Fenski aka fEnIo said:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 12:39:15PM -0300, Lucas Di Pentima wrote:
> > Hi there,
>
> Hello.
>
> > I'm packaging ZABBIX (http://www.zabbix.com), a resource monitor &
> > agent. The original programs in the upstream source tgz file are
> > generated with names like this:
> >
> > * zabbix_agent
> > * zabbix_agentd
> > * zabbix_server
> >
> > ..etc...
> >
> > I've read somewhere (I think a package's changelog) that the name
> > "like_this" was changed to "like-this" because of the Debian policy...so
> > I've searched for this detail on the website but didn't found anything
> > about that. Is it truth that programs shouldn't have the underscore on
> > their names? I don't remember any command to have it anyways :-)
>
> (fenio@domek)~$ls /usr/bin/* | grep _ | wc -l
> 71
> (fenio@domek)~$
>
> That's my fresh installation (I'm during migration to new box).
> Please DON'T rename binaries names. It only confuses users and often makes
> examples in documentation not working.

I think there's a confusion here between binary names, and binary package
names.  The packages should be named
zabbix-agent
zabbix-agentd
zabbix-server

But the binaries themselves should retain their original names, so as
not to introduce needless incompatibility with the rest of the world.
|   ,''`.					     Stephen Gran |
|  : :' :					 sgran@debian.org |
|  `. `'			Debian user, admin, and developer |
|    `-					    http://www.debian.org |