Re: Shared library concern

On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 01:37:17PM -0400, François-Denis Gonthier wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm having a bit of a concern with a library target Code::Blocks produces
> (It's a C/C++ IDE).
>
> Lintian currently reports:
>
> E: codeblocks: shlib-with-non-pic-code usr/lib/libcodeblocks.so

Shared libraries should be build using -fPIC.  It doesn't work
without it on some arches.  Static libraries on the other had
should not be build using it.  See policy section 10.2.

> E: codeblocks: sharedobject-in-library-directory-not-actually-a-shlib
> usr/lib/libcodeblocks.so

Here the problem is probably that it doesn't have an soname.  The
libcodeblocks.so should be a symlink to the real library.  And
the library itself should get version number added to it.

I suggest you read section 8 of the policy about shared
libraries.

Kurt