Re: A couple of questions

Shachar Shemesh <debian@shemesh.biz> wrote:

>  two questions:
> 1. My package has a password file. Where is the best place to store it?
> /etc/name/password? /var/lib/name/password?

If the password file is a system configuration file (i.e., a file that
can be customized by the admin to modify the behavior of the program),
it belongs to /etc. Otherwise, it should be placed elsewhere. See the
FHS.

> 2. I have placed some file names into debian/conffiles. It seems, however,
> that all files under /etc are logically added to it as well.

This is a feature of dh_installdeb in debhelper compatibility levels 3
and above. cf. debhelper(1).

> Files under /etc
> that I explicitly list as conffiles are listed twice on
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/name.conffiles after installation. This is not good,
> especially if option #1 above is taken. Can anyone explain why/how to stop the
> scripts from marking all files under /etc as configuration files?

1. You are confusing conffiles and configuration files. These notions
   are explained in the Debian Policy Manual.

2. This is probably a bad idea, but I suppose that setting DH_COMPAT to
   2 or below just for the dh_installdeb invocation would do the trick.

--
Florent