Re: CDBS and DESTDIR

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 01:45:25PM -0300, Nelson A. de Oliveira wrote:
> Hi
>
> Arjan Oosting wrote:
> >Op di, 22-03-2005 te 12:04 -0300, schreef Nelson A. de Oliveira:
[...]
> Since it doesn't have DESTDIR, I have created a patch (available here:
> http://biolinux.df.ibilce.unesp.br/naoliv/cdbs/01-makefile.diff)
>
> The patch is being applied OK. Using dpkg-buildpackage gives:
>
> /usr/bin/install -s -m 755 bin/ali2gff /bin/
> /usr/bin/install: cannot create regular file `/bin/ali2gff': Permission
> denied
>
> But with "make install DESTDIR=/tmp", the DESTDIR variable is OK:
>
> /usr/bin/install -s -m 755 bin/ali2gff /tmp/bin/
> /usr/bin/install: cannot create regular file `/tmp/bin/': Is a directory
>
> It gaves an error, since there was no directory bin on /tmp, but the
> DESTDIR was passed OK!

some (hopefully) usefull notes:
- why are you trying to install 'bin/ali2gff' instead of 'ali2gff' only?
- why not using /usr/bin/install for everything when copying files, it has
  useful features, eg:
   -D     create all leading components of DEST except the last, then
          copy  SOURCE  to  DEST; useful in the 1st format
  (please see the full manpage for the install command, this is just a
  hint for the nonexisting /tmp/bin/ above)

last but not least you could set up DESTDIR this way:
 INSTALLDIR = $(DESTDIR)$(LBIN)
at the beginning of the Makefile, then you can forget it :) then either
use /usr/bin/install as said above or leave the original $(CP) and
create the $(INSTALLDIR) yourself with mkdir in the installbin target.
Change LBIN to fit your needs and you're done (maybe you want to install
under /usr/bin actually, not /bin)

hth
--
mattia