Re: pdf files in upstream tarball and -doc package

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> schrieb:

> also sprach Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> [2005.02.11.1332 +0100]:
>> But you cannot include pdf files for which no source is included,
>> or only Micro$oft .doc files, in a Debian package: We need the
>> source code, and pdf, even if not compressed, cannot be taken as
>> source code.
>
> This is debateable. PDF is basically PS,

others commented on this

> and PS is source code.

PS is only source code if the file was written in PS. If the file was
in fact written in some higher-level language like LaTeX, docbook, or
*.doc, then the conversion to PS looses a lot of the nice features of
these higher-level languages (logical markup like "typeset this as a
section heading", "typeset this as you typeset all program names"). You
can't recover that from PS, and it wouldn't be my preferred form for
modification.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster