Re: pdf files in upstream tarball and -doc package

martin f krafft wrote:
also sprach Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> [2005.02.11.1332 +0100]:

But you cannot include pdf files for which no source is included,
or only Micro$oft .doc files, in a Debian package: We need the
source code, and pdf, even if not compressed, cannot be taken as
source code.

This is debateable. PDF is basically PS, and PS is source code.

So why not

  pdf2ps thefile.pdf

ship the PS and build the PDF from it?

I guess source code should be understood as explained in the OSD [1]:

"The source code must be the preferred form in which a programmer would modify the program. Deliberately obfuscated source code is not allowed. Intermediate forms such as the output of a preprocessor or translator are not allowed."

So PS would be ok iff the doc was actually written directly in PS, which is not likely to be the case.

Samuel.

[1] http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition_plain.php