Re: pdf files in upstream tarball and -doc package

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 07:15:03PM -0200, Antonio S. de A. Terceiro wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> My upstream authors include in their tarball both LyX input files and
> the generated PDF files. Since those PDF's are quite important for the
> package, I'll include a -doc package with them.

Why not.

> Should I rebuild the PDF's from the LyX inputs to generate my -doc
> package (and thus build-depend on lyx), or it's ok to just include the
> provided PDF's?

You need to think 2 separate questions:

1.  Should you check to see PDF file can be generated from the source
    manually?
    --> You must check and verify the provided PDF is the correct one.

2.  Should your debian/rule has to regenerate PDF from the source?
    --> Not always.  I have seen several generated document used.
        (e.g. doxygen related documents are not trivial to build
         sometimes.)  I would not bother to rebuild although pedantic
         discussion may lead to different direction.  There are many
         precedences.

HTH

Osamu