Preserving admin runlevel modifications on upgrade?

Hello

[please Cc me, I'm not subscribed -thanks]

AFAIK the standard way of registering daemons is to run
 update-rc.d foobar defaults
in the postinst script. This sadly resets any changes the administrator
made on every upgrade.

Calling the update-rc.d command only on (initial) install by putting
it into the preinst script as this gets either "install" or "upgrade"
as parameter, is also not easy as update-rc.d denies registering a
script that does not yet exist.

A possible solution may be to set a flag with preinst and decide upon
its presence whether or not to call update-rc.d in postinst. But this
seems too complicated for a standard task so I guess I've missed
something :)

What is the recommended?

bye,

-christian-