Re: How to deal with CVS directories in upstream tarballs?

I'm not sure if this helps you but, from dpkg-source(1):

-I<filename>
  If this option is specified, the filename will be passed to tar's --exclude
  option when  it  is  called  to generate  a  .orig.tar.gz  or .tar.gz file.
  For example, -ICVS will make tar skip over CVS directories when generating
  a .tar.gz file. The option may be repeated multiple times to list multiple
  filenames to exclude.

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 19:12, Alexis Sukrieh wrote:
> Hello mentors.
>
> I'm working on packaging Bugzilla 2.18 which was released a couple
> of days ago, that would close the #290775 whishlist item.
>
> There is an issue with the upstream tarball, it includes CVS direcories
> and .cvsignore files. That's not welcome in source packages, as lintian
> says and I'd like to avoid providing all that CVS stuff.
>
> I tried first to "forward" the bug to upstream, but Buzilla's developers
> answered[1] me that it is wanted in all the Mozilla.org tarballs.
>
> It may sounds weird to some of us, but here it is, Bugzilla won't
> provide upstream tarballs without CVS entries.
>
> I don't have a good solution to fix that bug[2] and would like to be
> adviced, if some of you have an idea.
>
>     - Should I simply ignore lintian, and keep the CVS entries in the
>       source tree? That would let the #291206 bug opened...
>
>     - Should I make my own .orig.tar.gz tarball whenever a new upstream
>       release is packaged? I'm planning to do that for 2.18.
>
>     - Should I remove the CVS entries in the "configure" phase of the
>       package, I mean, before I install files in debian/bugzilla/?
>
> Any comments is welcome.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alexis.
>
>  [1] :
>
> http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=&passw=&list=developers&brief=on
>&func=archive-get-part&extra=200501/127 [2] :

Jorge Bernal "Koke"
Personal: 	koke@sindominio.net
Jabber:		koke@zgzjabber.ath.cx
Blog:		http://www.amedias.org/koke/

"Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about
telescopes." - Edsger Dijkstra