Question about packaging documentation

Hi all ;-)

At first I'm entirely new on this list (but not to Debian at all) and my name is Jan :-)

I looked around quite a lot in google and list archives to find some information
about how to build doc-only packges (all information I found are for building
binary packages).

What I plan to do: I have some archives of mailing lists and would like to have
debian packages of them (so it can be easier for me to keep them up-to-date
on my computers and I find this could be useful for others).

So is there any documenation about building non binary packages from scratch?
I tried with my own Makefile for installing the files and tried out dh_make - but
then the packages are bulid als _i386.deb ;-) So at first a hint to some doc to
read would be nice...

Cheers,
Jan