Re: Output of dpkg-scanpackages as XML

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 05:36:12PM +0200, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> Not that I'm not flattered by the fact that you use grep-dctrl, but ...
> Is it really your intent here to filter out those packages whose
> packages record does not contain a literal dot?  Sounds like a quite
> puzzling requirement, IMHO.

You're right :-)  I thought the default semantics of grep-dctrl was
"regular expression" because when you don't type anything it says "a
pattern is mandatory" and in my mind "pattern" is "regular epression
pattern".  I see grep calls literal strings patterns too.

If you're going to output all fields grep-dctrl is unnecessary.
I guess the pattern should be ''
I usually use grep-dctrl with -s to only output some fields but match
all packages.