Re: How to -- debian distribution CD...

On Monday 03 January 2005 10:01, TIFR students wrote:
> We would like to know if there is any way by which we can create an
> debian distro ISO which contains packages of our choice.

This misses the whole CDD (custom debian distribution) angle which is still
being worked out but aims to solve this problem:
-  Take a look at the cdd-dev package (not sure if it's able to build an
install CD yet).
- You could alsot look at the modified debian-cd scripts used by
debian-edu/Skolelinux (Not sure in howfar these modifications have been
merged back into the debian-cd package). They build a debian-cd set with
the packages reordered so all debian-edu packages are on the first CD
(which is otherwise a normal debian-installer CD).
- Any detailed questions you have about any of the above are probably best
asked on the debian-custom list.

> 1.Downloading the whole ISO (650 MB) using jigdo or bittorrent.
> But the problem is jigdo downloads only standard available ISOs on
> mirrors.What we want is the customization in the number of and kind of
> packages present in the ISO.We cananot make a CD set of our own choice in
> this method.(Can we??)
nope, to make you're own CD's look into debian-cd package (and possibly
cdd-dev)

> 2.Using net install.
> Well we got the basic minimal ISO from woody(186 MB).
> But is this supposed to be a live CD ?? or a distribution installer CD??
net-install images are minimal install CD, they are more or less
debian-installer + base, with everything else downloaded from a mirror when
needed.

> Is the file structure of debian installer CD any different from any other
> live CDs??
debian-installer CD's are not liveCD's at all

> I guess we can get the additional packages we want from the
> net,after installing this minimal ISO.But the problem is,how then,do we
> convert the whole thing into an ISO that we want.
the tools being created by the folks on debian-custom will solve this at
some point (if they don't already)
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)