Re: package xsok

Hi Carlos!

Please keep on list, so others could comment or correct my suggestions.
(I'm also not a DD).

[ I quoted whole mail for others to keep informed. ]

Carlos Parra Camargo <carlospc@gmail.com>:
> El vie, 31-12-2004 a las 14:33 +0100, Erik Schanze escribió:
> > Carlos Parra Camargo <carlospc@gmail.com>:
> > > If you want to have a look:
> > >   http://carlospc.homelinux.org/debian/xsok/
> > >
> > debian/copyright:
> >  - Update or remove "Current Debian maintainer:" field
> >  - Download source isn't reachable, try an other one, like:
> >    http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/historic-linux/ftp-archives/tsx-11.mit.edu/Oct-07-1996/sources/usr.bin.X11/xsok-1.02-src.tar.gz
> >    (or a shorter one ;-)
> >    You could ask ibiblio.org for updateing its
> >  ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/games/strategy/xsok-1.01-src.tar.gz
>
> Good idea, i have mailed to iblibio this issue.
>
> >  - Contained XPMs stand under BSD-like license, not GPL, see ./etc/COPYRIGHT.xpm
> >    I think copyright file should reflect this, although relicensing (under GPL)
> >    is also ok.
> >
> > debain/control:
> >  - As the new maintainer you should change "Maintainer:" field
> >  - For a "Build-Depends" on debhelper >= 4.xx you should set compat level to 4:
> >    * remove line "export DH_COMPAT=3" from debian/rules
> >    * and do in debian/:
> >      $ echo 4 >compat
> >
> > debian/changelog:
> >  - In addition to my former mail you should mention that you updated
> >    "Standards-Version:" field to 3.6.1.
> >  - mention all changes above
> >

> > During a buid run comes up:
> > dh_installmanpages: This program is deprecated, switch to dh_installman.
>
> Thanks a lot! i have done all you have said, you can have a look:

You should retitle subjekt of bug #242100 and set you as owner before you begin
to work on an orphaned package.
-> http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/
-> http://www.debian.org/Bugs/server-control
   *retitle
   *owner

>   http://carlospc.homelinux.org/debian/xsok/

debian/changelog:
"  * Lintian clean"

You should explain why it is lintian clean now. (mention the lintian.override)

debian/copyright:
 "Contained XPMs stand under BSD-like license, the complete text of the
  BSD License can be found in `/usr/share/common-licenses/BSD'"

Because this license it only BSD-_like_ you should point not to BSD license
directly. Link to the license in /usr/share/doc/xsok/COPYRIGHT.xpm insteat.

> > It seems like a dead project, are you fit enough with the source code to deal
> > with any future bug, especially not package specific ones?
>
>   I'm touching the source code... i would like to modify some things and
> add new maps to the game :-) Thus, i think i can bring some "life" to
> the game and also correct the bugs of the upstream sourcecode.

Great. You could try to reach the author and ping him to work again on
it. He may be happy, that his project will be revitalized.
You could provide patches.
It is really necessary, that at least the security patch will be included
upstream, so all self-compiled versions can profit of it.

Or you fork this project and put it to sourgeforge.net, because apart from
download source and manpage, there is no information at all in the web about
xsok.
Perhaps a good website will reassemble a xsok-gamer-community? ;-)
At least it's a good point of learning to deal with sf.net and gain programming
and releasing skills.

Happy new year.

Kindly regards,

Erik

--
 Bitte keine HTML-E-Mails! No HTML mails, please! Limit: 100 kB *