Re: About creating .deb packages

also sprach Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> [2004.12.31.0058 +0100]:
> > Unfortunately, ar(1) won't suffice as it cannot create BSD-style
> > archives. DEB files are BSD ar archives, not GNU ar. Thus, you
> > need dpkg-source.
>
> Hmm, do you have a definitive reference for that?  All I can find
> from a quick google on seemingly relevant terms is a year-old
> e-mail exchange between Goswin and aba about a specification of
> the file format, which is fairly disjoint and doesn't really
> explain the issue properly.

There is a bug against apt-utils somewhere. Other than that, no,
sorry, no reference right now. Ask Goswin, he knows.

Also, the problem only surfaces with apt-ftparchive, I think. dpkg
and APT can use GNU and BSD ar.

> > You need a control file. Whether that is debian/control
> > (standard source package), or DEBIAN/control (binary package)
> > does not matter though. However, if you use debian/control, you
> > also need debian/changelog.
>
> Why do you need debian/changelog if you're using debian/control?

Because DEBIAN/control is created from these two.

> Surely there could be an alternate means of specifying the package
> version number, since you're not restricted to using the Usual
> Debian Tools -- remember, absolute minimalism here...

debian/control and debian/changelog are the standards for Debian
source packages. debhelper is also more or less of a standard, which
uses them. Obviously, you can create DEBIAN/control (not the
capitals, now I am talking dpkg-deb) with other means, but then why
need debian/control.

> It's actually quite a fun mental game, this: "What do I *really* need,
> rather than what I'm accustomed to needing".

ed(1), tar(1), dpkg-deb.

also sprach Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org> [2004.12.31.0309 +0100]:
> 4.  Create a file called control that looks like this:
>
> Package: hello-example
>
> 5. Now tar it up with the name control.tar.gz
>
> $ tar cvzf control.tar.gz control

So what will be the version of your package?

I won't have a chance to reply anymore for three weeks. I'll be back
then.

`. `'`