Re: your mail

On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 07:28:42PM -0500, Jake Spieker wrote:
> I would like to do something small if possible, and as I understand
> it, there is a way so that I can help someone? I don't think I have
> the ability to do a package on my own. Other thoughts?

You could act as a co-maintainer of a package, handling (for instance) bug
reports and testing prior to release.  You could be a wandering minstrel of
bug fixing, randomly picking interesting looking bugs and trying to
reproduce them and giving aid to the maintainer and submitter all at once.

As an example of this, take a look at http://bugs.debian.org/287160 -- even
after I've managed to read the bug report properly, I still can't reproduce
the problem on my system (I have to send a followup to say that, BTW).
Finding bugs like this, going through the report, and making a report along
the lines of "I can reproduce this bug, here's all the useful info" or "I
can't get this bug to appear either, and I tried this, this, this, and this"
are both quite useful -- it gives the maintainer and submitter both more
information.

- Matt