Re: your mail

On Sat, Dec 25, 2004 at 06:11:30PM -0500, Jake Spieker wrote:
> I was pointed to this list by people at debian-newmaint.
>
> 1.I have no experiance programming or scripting.
What is your motivation for creating a package?

> 2. What does becoming a debian maintainer entail? Would I need to know
> any programming/scripting? How much time is involved?
It varies alot.  Some packages need very few changes from the template
that will be created for you (such as those using GNU autoconf).
Other packages (like IRAF,AIPS,MIDAS,ROOT or lots of other science
software) will need tens of hours and tens more of maintenance.
You'll have to handle bug reports, and interact with the upstream
software authors.

You said you're interested in helping to maintain a package.  Is there
a specific one?  That will help answer your question.

IANADD,
Justin