Re: Default gcc for sarge, libunwind

* Frank Küster [Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:58:32 +0100]:

> this question might be really dumb, but: Where can I find information
> which gcc version is used for sarge? I was under the impression that it
> was gcc-3.3, because gcc-3.4 entered unstable only in July this year
> (when we were thinking to be a couple of weeks before the final
> freeze). And because in a sid pbuilder tarball, created today on sid,
> gcc-3.3 is still used.

> However, I learned recently that packages in sarge depend on gcc-3.4, at
> least on a couple of architectures:

> http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/testing.pl?package=tetex-bin

> says that tetex-bin is waiting for libunwind (on which it depends only
> on some arches), which in turn is waiting for gcc-3.4.

> Is this an error in my sid tarball - and if yes, what am I doing wrong?

  no, there is no error on your part. the package 'gcc-defaults' gets to
  decide where do the cpp, gcc, g++, etc. links point to, and at the
  moment those point to 3.3 versions in both sid an sarge.

  however, note that in all architectures except hppa and m68k, the
  libgcc1 package is provided by the gcc-3.4 source package and not by
  gcc-3.3, which makes packages depend on libgcc1 =~ 3.4 and so (as is
  happening now for a bunch of packages) gcc-3.4 can block those
  entering from sarge.

  for the reasons for having libgcc1 provided by gcc-3.4 (which is not
  the default compiler) and not by gcc-3.3. (which is), you should ask
  someone like Matthias Klose, I guess. though I'd say that the change
  has been made in all architectures for which the 3.3 -> 3.4 GCC
  transition does not mean an ABI change (since libgcc1 =~ 3.4 is
  probably "better" than =~ 3.3 and there is no reason against using it).

> Secondly, I'd like to learn what this libunwind is about and why
> tetex-bin is linked against it on some (many!) arches, but not on
> i386. The package description wasn't really helpful there.

  nfi about this, sorry.

--
Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

Any life, no matter how long and complex it may be, is made up of a
single moment: the moment in which a man finds out, once and for all,
who he is.
                -- Jorge Luis Borges