Re: debconf note

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 07:49:01PM +0100, Matthijs Mohlmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've read in the policy that you shouldn't add random notes. But i'm not
> sure of this one:
>
> I have pdns and added some debconf questions and i have also moved the
> recursor to a seperated package. The original package was pdns. Shall i
> inform the users that the recursor now is in a seperate package?
I would think so, if I understand the situation correctly.  You should
avoid the situation where a package upgrade breaks a DNS system
because of functionality removed from the main package.

I think debconf will mail root if an interface isn't available
(imagine an upgrade script:
	for A in $HOSTS; do ssh $A aptitude update;
		ssh $A aptitude upgrade;
	done;
).

In that case, the only email will be sent to root, who might not be
the DNS admin and so it might take a while for the note to be
redirected to the right person.  So, debconf maybe can't handle that
appropriately?

Maybe you should have an upgrade package: pdns would become an empty
package which depends on pdns-recursor and pdns-server.

You might also add the change to the package description.

Justin