Re: pkg-classifier appliance

vegetax <vegeta.z@gmail.com> wrote:

> The url for the tgz containing the source code, just 1 python file and a
> README is http://files.bighosting.net/lh13023.zip  ,

Why on earth do you think it makes sense to zip a tar.gz file? It even
gets bigger.

> can someone  please
> check it and upload it to the testing or unstable dist ?

First of all, I don't understand the package description. The README
file gives some more insight in what it might be, but the package
description should be sufficient for an admin to decide whether to
install it.

Personally I think it would be much better to use existing tools like
apt-cache, grep-dctrl and dlocate. For me they are sufficient. Your
example applications can be easily substituted:

,----
| for example you want to see what sound programs you have,you go to the
| sound category
`----

grep-available -F Section -s Package sound

(or apt-cache search sound, if you like more hits)

,----
| or maybe you want to know what executables has a package you just
| installed,lets say apt-utils,then you go to admin -> apt-utils -> bin
| and check the binaries
`----

dlocate -L apt-utils | grep /bin

I think it would be nice to have a common interface for these utilities,
or even a menu-driven program or a GUI. Maybe it's fun for you to create
such a thing?

Second, please have a look at your rules file. It's full of unnecessary
cruft, do you know what "CFLAGS" are?

Third, please read the Debian Policy and the Filesystem Hierarchy
Standard and find a suitable place for your data. /programFiles is
certainly *not* acceptable.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster