Re: debian/rules error on clean rule

On Sun 12 Dec 04,  4:59 PM, Loïc Minier <lool+debian@via.ecp.fr> said:
> Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org> - Sun, Dec 12, 2004:
>
> > And then it gives up because of the errors.  The part that I really don't
> > understand is WHY the rm fails.
>
>  Check wether "fakeroot rm -rf $PROBLEMATIC_DIR" works and wether "rm
>  -rf $PROBLEMATIC_DIR" works, you will know wether you're victim of the
>  fakeroot mechanism or not.  If both are failing, strace the thing and
>  check what fails.  I spent once some time figuring why an ext2 attr
>  forbid the modification of a file (chattr(1), lsattr(1)).
>
>    HTH,
>
> --
> Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>

Hola Loïc,

Good suggestions!  It appears that I can't remove any file using fakeroot:

   p@satan$ touch blah; chmod ugo+rw blah

   p@satan$ ll blah
   -rw-rw-rw-  1 p p 0 2004-12-12 11:04 blah

   p@satan$ rm -rf blah

   p@satan$ ll blah
   ls: blah: No such file or directory

   p@satan$ touch blah; chmod ugo+rw blah

   p@satan$ fakeroot rm -rf blah
   rm: cannot remove `blah'

However, "strace -ff" was telling.  The second I saw "preload libtrash.so", I
knew exactly what was happening.

I use libtrash, which moves files to ~/Trash whenever a call to unlink is
made.  The child process spawned by fakeroot tried to move blah to
/root/Trash.

However, I never use root for anything, so I don't preload the libtrash
library for the root user.  I'm normally really careful with that account, so
I don't need libtrash for it.  Well, not only that, but even if /root/Trash
did exist, I don't think I'd be able to write to it anyhow, even with
fakeroot (if I understand fakeroot correctly).

Anyway, moving blah to /root/Trash failed, so the child process exited
"unexpectedly".

Moral to the story: fakeroot and libtrash don't mix well.

The package appears to be building correctly.  Now I just sit back and wait
to see if the rest continues.

Thank you for the strace suggestion; it definitely was the perfect
suggestion!

Pete