Re: substitution variables

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 03:31:02PM +0100, Nico Golde wrote:
> Hi,
> dh_make genererated control files which usually include something
> like this:
> Depends: ${shlibs:Depends},${misc:Depends}
> Can someone explain me how these variables get substituted?
> Because i get this message if i build the package:
> dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable ${shlibs:Depends}
> dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable ${misc:Depends}

During the package generation process, it may be advantageous for the
package generation process to generate or append to the list of substitution
variables.  There's stock code within Debhelper to do it, for instance, so
any debhelper script can manipulate a substvar if it wants to.

The generated substitution variables are stored in a file called
<package>.substvars in the debian/ directory of your source tree.  This file
is typically cleaned up in the clean target; dh_clean does the job rather
nicely.  The program dpkg-gencontrol is responsible for taking the control
file and the <package>.substvars file and making the appropriate
substitutions.  To try and minimise problems due to typos and bodgy code,
any substvar mentioned in the control file but not present in substvars
produces a warning from dpkg-gencontrol.  If these truly aren't needed by
your application, it is best to remove the relevant substvar from control
for cleanliness.

HTH,
- Matt