Re: compile from source: to what extent?

Justin Pryzby wrote:

> Obviously, compilations will fail on broken systems (like without
> /usr/bin/cc or with a broken cc with missing files or whatever).

Your package can assume that build-essential packages (like gcc) are
installed.  If it needs any non-build-essential packages, it must
Build-depends on them.  See policy or the maintainer's reference for
details.

> But, it is suppose to be possible to compile a package as any normal
> user.  To what extent should I hack the compilation system to enforce
> that goal?  Say, if /usr/bin/xc was a completely different program.
> Then a normal user would have problems.

If some other Debian package provided /usr/bin/xc, you would need to
Build-conflicts (and Conflicts) with that file.  Otherwise, you can
assume that file does not exist or is provided by your package.  (If
users install random files into /usr/bin, they can't complain.  Local
files should go in /usr/local.)