Re: SRPM to deb conversion standard practices and hints

On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 02:28:09PM +0200, Shaul Karl wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 11:11:38PM +0100, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Since many GNU/Linux softwares are initially provided not onlr *.tar.gz
> > but also they come with SRPM, is there any guide to use them as a good
> > tem,plate to develop Debian package effeciently.
> >
> > It does not need to be point-by-point guide but some collection of
> > hints.
> >
> > Do you know anything for this.
> >
> > http://kernellabo.alioth.debian.org/kernellabo/
> >
> > seem to have some script focused on kernel SRPM.
> >
> > But I am just lazy packager looking for easy way out :-)
>
>   The nearest thing I can think of is alien. Not sure if it is not
> focused only on rpm and not on srpm.
>   My experience with rpm and srpm is practically nothing. Hopefully you
> will get better replies.

No that is for binary package. You can run it but it just repackage into
deb or tar.gz format with spec file and tar.gz file in it.  Not much
useful.  (Just creating control file skelton)

rpm2cpio is good enough for this.  I am looking for a guide on how to
convert spec file beyond Name:, Summary:, and %description.

I mean that I am looking for dependency and script conversion after %prep.

These scripts are somewhat self explanatory but ....

Osamu