How to solve the upstream software which will break the build package policy?

Hi mentors:

I maintained a XIM:gcin for the zh-TW users and met into problem.

A program of the software which have the "help" function will read the
/usr/share/doc/gcin/README (by gedit).

I made a gcin.doc and wanted to install the README.zh-TW (I cp to a
different filename and also modified the upstream software)
and of course the dh_installdocs would gzip the file so that the gedit
couldn't open it.

I checked up the xine-ui source because xine-ui has the same situation
like mime. The maintainer
gunzip the README.*.gz file so that the help dialog works. Also, he knew
that it might violate the policy.

Should I also gunzip the README file to make the help function work or
there are some ways to prove it?

Thanks.

Best Regards
Asho Yeh