Re: Simple Debian Package Creation?

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 11:52:41PM +0100, Bartosz Fenski aka fEnIo wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 04:06:01PM -0600, Zach Garner wrote:
> > > Most of the apps are using `./configure && make && make install` so dh_make
> > > tries to use that way.
> > > In fact the only file you need is debian/rules.
> > > It should be Makefile which create your package.
> >
> > What bugs me is that as far as I can tell from the documentation,
> > dh_make is the recommended proper way of doing things. Also, as far as I
> > can tell I need the following:
> > README.Debian compat copyright rules control dirs
>
> README.Debian, compat  and dirs is useless (well at least it's not needed).
> In fact you need copyright, when you write copyright issues (could be

You don't need a copyright file to create a package, you just need it if
you're ever going to have a hope of getting your package into Debian
proper.  If that's not a concern, it's not needed.  (The voice of
experience).

> > I understand your point though, the 'rules' file is the only one that
> > really matters.
>
> As I said previously... you can prepare rules file which will handle all
> issues, but it's not so easy then.

I wouldn't go down that path.  Those helper scripts are out there for a
reason.  But if you need to build debian packages in an environment with
nothing but standard unix tools, it's a definite option.

> > > If you really don'y like debhelper's scripts you can always write this
> > > Makefile yourself or use cdbs (`apt-get install cdbs`).
> >
> > I'll look into cdbs.
>
> That's totally other way of packaging. It's designed to simplify rules file
> as much as it is possible.
> Sorry I won't describe it more verbosely cause I like debhelper ;)

I think it won't cure the OP's desire for a comprehensible, do-anything
build system -- it's even more heavily tailored to building Debian .debs
than debhelper, IMO.

> > For instance, I don't know how it knows that debian/<packagename> is where
> > my application data is supposed to be. Is this hardcoded in dpkg-deb? Is
> > somehow expressed in one of the dh_ scripts that is listed in my
> > "binary:" target. All I really know is that if I put my files there, it
> > puts them in the package. I probably need to read the man pages more
> > than I have...
>
> That is related to debian/control file.
> Whole packaging scripts assume that every "Package: <whatever>" line in
> debian/control is used for final packages.
> So if you have:
>
> Package: my_cool_package
>
> line in debian/control then scripts looking for your files in
> debian/my_cool_package directory. So just put there your files in proper
> filesystem hierarchy and they'll be moved to package called the same.

That's dependent on debhelper magic.  See my reply to the previous message
for more info.

- Matt