architecture detection

I maintain the hashcash package.  Recent upstream versions have
included optimized assembly routines for MMX (x86) and Altivec (PPC).
In order to compile these properly, I need to detect what architecture
I am compiling under.  What is the suggested/easiest/best/proper/Debian
way to do this?  The package does not use autoconf/automake, and
currently depends on the user to determine the architecture (via "make
x86", "make ppc-linux", "make generic", etc).

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA