Re: RFS schoolbell - A calenaring server for schools

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 12:52:55PM +0200, Brian Sutherland wrote:
> W: schoolbell source: native-package-with-dash-version
> The package releases for more than just debian. And sometimes it will be
> necessary to adjust the package only for debian but the debian directory
> is in the repository. So I think it makes no sense to move everything
> around again and a dash version is the most logical solution?

You'll get differing opinions about this.  On the one hand, since you're
apparently involved in upstream development anyway, there's not much point
in making separated releases.  Distinctly, being "Debian native" has certain
"this is really only for Debian" connotations that will likely get you into
trouble.

On the whole, I think you've made a poor compromise.  I would suggest
picking one way or the other, and going all the way with it.  As it stands,
you're going to have trouble uploading a -2 of anything without a new
upstream tarball anyway, so you're best off just going full-native and being
done with it.

> I: schoolbell: arch-dep-package-has-big-usr-share 2543kB 45%
> And will get bigger.

Split it out, then.  Make a "schoolbell-common" package with all of this
common stuff.  I thought it was a Python thing anyway -- why's it arch-dep?

> W: schoolbell: description-synopsis-might-not-be-phrased-properly
> Huh?

The -i option to lintian is your friend whenever you get that Huh? feeling.
In this case:

Tag: description-synopsis-might-not-be-phrased-properly
Type: warning
Info: The synopsis (first line in the package "Description:" field, the
 short description) ends with a full stop "." character. This is not
 necessary, as the synopsis doesn't need to be a full sentence. It is
 recommended that a descriptive phrase is used instead.
 .
 Note also that the synopsis is not part of the rest of the "Description:"
 field.
Ref: policy 3.4.1

Not quite sure how that relates to your particular case, though -- the
description in the .changes I just looked at didn't have an ending period...

- Matt