Re: Update-excuses: Makes N non-depending packages uninstallable on ...

On 2004-08-30 Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:
> I'm wondering how to interpret, especially the last part.

> http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/testing.pl?package=tetex-bin

> First it says:

> * Updating tetex-bin makes 3 depending packages uninstallable on alpha: jbibtex-bin, jmpost, ptex-bin

> This seems to be bogus, because ptex-bin (source package of the three)
> has a versioned depends on tetex-bin that cannot be fullfilled with the
> version in sarge.

Britney tries one package at a time, unless told otherwise (with a
"hint"). It does not try to update *both* ptex-bin and tetex-bin
together, and the version of ptex-bin in sarge does not "depends on
tetex-bin that cannot be fullfilled with the version in sarge".

> But then:

> * Updating tetex-bin makes 35 non-depending packages uninstallable on
>   alpha: acl2-infix, advi, cdcover, cjk-latex, dvidvi, dvifb, dvilib2,
[...]
> What does that mean? For the first, acl2-infix, I cannot find any
> connection to tetex-bin; for cdcover, e.g., there is one:

> Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4), libgcc1 (>= 1:3.3.3-1), libstdc++5 (>= 1:3.3.3-1), tetex-bin, tetex-base, tetex-extra
[...]

tetex-bin in sid "Conflicts: tetex-base (<= 2.0.2b-2)", therefore
upgrading tetex-bin on its own makes tetex-bin itself uninstallable,
therefore everything related would be, too.

We had already talked about this on IRC today, because Steve Langasek
had already hinted tetex-base and tetex-bin together but it had not
worked out, Steve traced it to:

| The following arch: all packages are broken by trying to update
| tetex: alcovebook-sgml docbook-utils jadetex sgml2x
| translate-docformat
                   cu andreas
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"