library packaging problem

Hi,

I am trying to package a library. This is my first package (yes, I know that it is depreciated for packaging newbies, but I need it in my job...). I have used upstream .tar.gz sources (they use autoconf and automake) and tried to follow the new maintainer's guide.
The problem is that the dpkg-buildpackage produces packages with just the docs, but no library files inside (the appropriate directories have been created, but they are empty), although they reside in debian/tmp. This is true for both the libxxx.deb and the libxxx-dev.deb

Could anyone give me a hint where I have to look to find my (certainly trivial) error?

Thank you,

Matthias

GN Otometrics -- Hortmann
Dipl.Phys. Dr. Matthias Zenker