Re: working with Debian subversion sources

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 18:24:42 -0400 (EDT), Faheem Mitha
<faheem@email.unc.edu> wrote:

> Dear People,
>
> I've been trying to package subversion, version 1.1.0-rc2, using the
> already packaged versions as a jumping-off point. However, I have run into
> some difficulties, and was hoping people on this list would help me out.
>
> I should probably start by saying that I'm trying to use svn-buildpackage
> to manage my builds, with the "merge with upstream" property set.
> Basically, this means that svn-buildpackage keeps only the Debian diffs
> under version control and not the upstream sources, and merges in the
> upstream sources at build time. I've checked out the sources from the
> Debian subversion package repository, ie.
>
> svn co svn://svn.debian.org/pkg-subversion/trunk/ pkg-subversion
>
> It doesn't look like David Kimdon is using svn-buildpackage.
>
> 1) Firstly, usually when the Debian sources unpack themselve into a
> directory, I see the same thing as one would when unpacking the upstream
> sources, with the Debian diff patched in, creating a debian subdirectory
> in the source tree etc. However, in the case of the Debian subversion
> sources, the directory contains another directory, debian, and a copy of
> the upstream sources eg.

> faheem /tmp/debrepos/subversion/build-area/subversion-1.0.6>ls
> build-tree  debian  log  subversion-1.0.6.tar.gz
>
> a) I'm wondering, firstly, how dpkg-source knows how to unpack in this
> fashion. Before unpacking, the source files look the same as any other
> Debian sources.

Apparently not, after all. I see that the orig tarball is a tarball
within a tarball. I guess that answers one of my questions. :-) I am
still not sure why it is done that way, though.

faheem /usr/local/src/debrepos/subversion/tarballs>tar tzvf
subversion_1.0.6.orig.tar.gz
-rw-rw-r-- dwhedon/dwhedon 5079724 2004-08-03 00:36:24
subversion-1.0.6/subversion-1.0.6.tar.gz

                                                                 Faheem/