Dependency problem

Hallo!

I am the sponsored maintainer of gdal. Since I have some open bugs I
am preparing a new package, but I have a problem where I don't
know what to insert in the dependency field of a package.

Please look at bug number 25344 [1]:
python-gdal contains the python bindings for libgdal1 and hence is
dependent on libgdal1. There has been a CVS version of gdal in the
debian archives in debian for a few months until gdal 1.2.0 has been
released.  gdal 1.2.0 contains a few more functions than the older
cvs-version and so it is not possible to load the gdal python
bindings of 1.2.0 when libgdal1+cvs031111 is on the system.

My idea to solve the above problem has been to explicitly require at
least the same version of libgdal1 that python-gdal has. So I put
the following lines into debian/control:

Section: python
Architecture: any
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${python:Depends}, libgdal1 (>=${Source-Version}), python-numeric

But now lintian complains:

mimirs gdal 641: lintian -i python-gdal_1.2.1-1_i386.deb
E: python-gdal: package-has-a-duplicate-relation depends: libgdal1,
libgdal1 (>= 1.2.1-1)
N:
N:   The package seems to declare a relation on another package
which is
N:   already implied by other relations it declares, and is
therefore
N:   redundant. This is not only sloppy but can break some tools.
N:

I tend to change the above Depends to
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${python:Depends}, python-numeric

The problem is that this would lead to a situation where people who
have still libgdal1-1.2+cvs031111 on their system will have to deal
with a broken python-gdal. Otherwise libgdal1-1.2+cvs031111 doesn't
even exist in the debian archives any more.

The other possibility is to rename libgdal1 into libgdal2 but since
libgdal1-1.2+cvs031111 did only exist for a very short time this seems
me to be overkill.

I really would like to here the opinion of more experienced
maintainers and DDs.

Many thanks,

	Silke

Silke Reimer