Re: mysteries of /etc/default/*

Am Do, den 15.07.2004 schrieb Sebastian Henschel um 14:45:
> howdy folks...
>
> in the last couple of months, i realized that more and more packages
> are using a file in /etc/default/ for the configuration of their
> init-scripts.
> i searched in debian-devel and debian-mentors, looked into the policy
> 10.7 and asked a maintainer of such a package, but did not find any
> rationale, discussion or something which explains this.
>
> can any one of you please help me here? would it be smart to move my
> package's configuration into /etc/default as well? will it be part of
> the policy some day? why is it called default?

From my point of view, the config files in /etc/default should only
provide default configurations, that are/can be overridden in another
file in /etc . Like, when a configuration /etc/default/XXX.cnf has 100
configuration option predefined, from which only some of them may be
overridden in /etc/XXX.cnf.
I see, that this is not used by any of the files in /etc/default/ so my
assumption is probably completely wrong, but I think that this would be
a reasonable approach.

Cheers, Roman