Removing Other Packages' Conflicting Files

I am packaging a package - A - which conflicts with only some files in another package - B - (A depends on the rest of B's files). If A also contained the files in B with which it conflicts, I think I would tag A Replaces: B and be done; but A doesn't contain these files, it simply conflicts with them, so they must be removed.

How do I stop files from B from being installed? If I simply put rm <files> into A's postinst script, the files could be reinstalled the next time B is upgraded.

Thanks for your help!

Jack