RFS: splay -- A bit better prepared now ...

I'm a little better prepared now and have an orig.tar.gz, a .dsc and a
.diff file uploaded to

    http://www.callpoint.org/splay/

I have found the tools a little cumbersome so perhaps I am doing
something wrong. Hopefully someone will be able to show me a better way.

I tried building a deb using pdebuild but although it ran fine the
resulting .deb was lost as pbuilder cleared away its stuff.

In the end I had to manually untar the base.tar.gz, copy the package
stuff and chroot into sid to build the deb and run lintian.

Is there a better way or am I going to have to get a full sid up and
running (maybe using uml)? I'd like to upgrade from woody but I've so
much installed that a dist-upgrade would take ages over my dialup and
I'd worry about losing all the tweaks and fixes I've made over the last
couple of years.

A further problem is that the chrooted sid doesn't have any sound. I
haven't altered any code yet (other than replacing some
iostream/iomanip.h with the stdlib alternatives) but if someone is
willing to upload this, please test it with any handy mp3.

Cheers

John