Re: RFS: bandwidthd - tracks network utilization per ip and draws graphs.

"Andreas Henriksson" <andreas@fjortis.info> writes:

> As you see there's not really much flexibility in bandwidthd today. On
> the  other hand thats probably why so many people like it. Flexible
> graphs can  be created with mrtg/rrd-tool/scripts or whatever
> combination. The problem  with that is just that it usually takes up
> alot of time and I guess many  people like me don't really want to
> spend alot of time on network graphs.  It's only something nice to
> have if you can "get it for free".

Problem is that neither mrtg nor rrd-tool graphs can do it. For
example rrd-tool can do logartihmic scale or drawing outgoing positive
and incoming negative. But not both (since log of negative numbers is
undefined). And a smoothing function using PREV() causes segfaults.

If drawing the graphs takes too much time you might want to only draw
them on demand and cache them (even cache them longer than the actual
update interval). But that would require some sort or database or a
drawing server so you can output them on demand. Haven't looked at the
design.

> I'll send your comments to David Hinkle (upstream) and also keep them
> around for a rainy day to try to implement myself.....
> Hopefully this will give him something to think about so he stops
> thinking  that bandwidthd is "for the most
> part to be stable and complete". ;P
>

> Thanks for your comments!
>
> Btw. If you are good at debconf and have a minute over to help me find
> out  why the "config" script isn't getting triggered even though I've
> tried  dh_installdebconf and manually copying the script and templates
> to  tmp/DEBIAN/ please yell! :)

I'm a novice with writing debconf scripts. Only done some cut&paste
there myself.

MfG
        Goswin