Re: RFS: splay -- Sound player for MPEG-1,2 layer 1,2,3

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 02:45:17PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> On 2004-07-06 John Hedges <john@drystone.co.uk> wrote:
> > I'd like to adopt splay, a command line mp3 player. I've updated the bug
> > report (#246971) to reflect ITA but have a couple of questions before
> > uploading.
> [...]
>
> I have not used and tested it but have just looked at package
> description and website. How does splay differ from mpg321?

splay is the fastest mp3 decoder I know of, using about one third the cpu
required by mpg123 (based on woody packages). I just tried mplayer so
now know of a faster one :)

This makes splay more suitable than mpg123 when decoding to files or
when using slower hardware. Mainly I use epia based MiniITX as mp3
players, but the tests below are on a P4:

    john@desk:~$ time mpg123 -s 1.mp3 > /dev/null 2>&1

    real    0m6.278s
    user    0m6.260s
    sys     0m0.000s