Re: RFS: rlplot - generate publication quality graphs

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004, Frank Küster wrote:
> ...but lacks a simple spreadsheet for data editing/easy viewing of
> raw figures. The same is probably true for R. The spreadsheet
> functionality is the reason why I had a look at rlplot; but what I
> am looking for is a replacement for proprietary software I currently
> use, and that only run on Windows or Mac OS. Sometimes I also use
> Grace, but only if I know that I don't need to work with the data I
> plot (like subtracting columns from each other).

There are two separate things that you deal with in R.

The first is raw data. A simple spreadsheet program like gnumeric or a
texteditor sufices to enter the data.

Once you've got the raw data, you (ideally) perform all of the
manipulations of that data in R to prepare your graphs. In my current
work, I have a relatively standard data treatment that I apply to raw
data which produces the plots automagically without wasting time
entering formulas in a spreadsheet.

Not to mention that the plotting in R is publication quality straight
out of the box, which is, frankly, not the case for most extant
graphing programs.

Don Armstrong

--
Dropping non-free would set us back at least, what, 300 packages?  It'd take
MONTHS to make up the difference, and meanwhile Debian users will be fleeing

And what about SHAREHOLDER VALUE?
 -- Matt Zimmerman in <gYuD3D.A.ayC.nGB39@murphy>

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu