From: ms419@freezone.co.uk
Date: June 23, 2004 12:16:21 PM PDT
To: dima@debian.org
Subject: saslauthd from binary package seg faulting?

I've tried for many months to get saslauthd working with PAM - I happen to use the pam_krb5 module. Now it's working when I build it myself - but I don't know why. I have a pretty stock installation of unstable on a Pentium 75 and a Celeron 433.

Using the binary packages in unstable (sasl2-bin 2.1.18-4.1) and "testsaslauthd -u user -p incorrect", authentication correctly fails. Using, however, "testsaslauthd - u user -p correct", saslauthd seg faults.

Jeremy Rumpf had been helping me debug the problem, but when I recompiled the package to get debug symbols, it wouldn't seg fault - it worked! As a matter of fact, even if I compile sasl2-bin w/o debug symbols (dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us -rfakeroot) it works.

So ... Why does the Debian binary package seg fault, but the binary package built from the Debian source not? Maybe some library on my machine? Like I said, my installation is pretty stock. Jeremy Rumpf doesn't use Debian, so I don't know who to ask.

Thanks!

Jack