Re: /etc/init.d/ script policy violation?

Stefan Völkel <stefan.voelkel@millenux.com> schrieb:

>> One question I have however, is should it be a policy violation if a
>> script hangs waiting for user input?  Perhaps the policy document
>> should be updated to explicitly deal with this case?
>
> If it does wait on input (or might) it should start afte, ssh, pcmcia,
> hotplug and networking. Thus allowing acces to the "hanging" machine
> even with pcmcia network cards.

... unless it is _intended_ to wait for input. Just in case anybody
starts writing a text for policy.

Rationale:

A package can be designed to enable the user to make some choice during
the boot process. An example is my netenv package. It is intended for
selection of a networking environment for a laptop or similar, by user
input and not by arp/ping tests as many others do. While it can be
configured to boot to a default configuration after some time (and this
is the default), a user might also want to preserve upstreams behavior,
namely unlimited waiting.

Of course this is documented, but it should be allowed.

Regards, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie