Secure temporary fifo creation

Mentors,

What is the recommended method for securely creating a temporary named pipe in
C code?

Looking at the man pages for various library calls it appears that tmpfile(3)
is probably an acceptable means of creating a temporary file, but this
returns a FILE *.  The upstram source I'm packaging needs to make a temporary
fifo.  It uses tempnam(3) to get a temporary file name as a char *, and then
mkfifo(3) to make the fifo named pipe from the file name.  Is this
sufficiently secure?  Should I post this to debian-security?

Thanks,
Greg Deitrick