Re: ITA: filler - Simple game in Java

On (11/05/04 21:37), James Damour wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 11:40, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> > James Damour dijo [Tue, May 11, 2004 at 08:25:52AM -0400]:
> > > I would appreciate it if a sponsor could review my packaging, and let me
> > > know what I should change in order to get it ready for upload to the
> > > Debian archive.  I've fixed all lintian or linda errors, and the
> > > remaining linda warning may be a bug (as a game, filler needs to be
> > > rwxr-sr-x and linda is expecting rwxr-xr-x).

As for SGID - if this is java game, so you most probably have a shell
wrapper.  S[UG]ID bits do NOT work on shell scripts.  You can have the
bits set but they will be ignored.  So I suspect linda may check that
your wrapper is a shell script and then - sgid bit makes no effect
anyway.

What you probably could do is write a small C wrapper, but then your
package would have to be autobuild on all architectures, which will
not happen for a package in contrib... So getting back to the sources
of SGID - the bit is there so that games played independently by difrent
users could store the "best score" values in a shared place.  If you
don't set the bit you can not use this functionality. Well, not a
terribly big loss probably.

> > If your package requires a non-free JDK, then it will enter contrib
> > (instead of main) and will not be autobuilt, so don't worry, you will
> > not get the dreaded FTBFS ;-) Just please note somewhere visible
[...]
> The file, /usr/share/doc/filler/README.Debian mentions both the
> Blackdown and the Sun VMs.  It does not *explicitly* state that these
> are needed to rebuild the source; do you think that I should update the
> file to say so?  I've tried gij-3.3 and both Kaffe and SableVM from Sid,
> and neither currently support the Swing APIs used by filler, but I'm
> very hopeful that they will quite soon.  As such, and considering the

Contrib for now, definitely.  As for Swing support - that remains to be
seen :)  I wouldn't expect truly satisfactory Swing support in Free JVMs
before Sarge release (unless Sarge will release in 2005 ;-). This is
not due to slowness of the development but because Swing is *huge*.

If you don't get any email from me in next days - please don't forget to
mail me again in a week if you still want your package to be reviewed
and uploaded by me. I am very sorry about it, but I really have a very
unpleseant deadline to deal with.

Cheers,

				Grzegorz B. Prokopski

--