Re: xfree86-driver-synaptics blocked by xserver-xfree86 on s390

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 10:03:04AM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> On 2004-05-11 Mattia Dongili <dongili@supereva.it> wrote:
> [...]
> > Subject: xfree86-driver-synaptics blocked by xserver-xfree86 on s390
> [...]
> > the subject[1] says it all, will it ever be an xserver-xfree86 for s390?
> > otherwise I'd better chance my package's Architecture field before sarge
>
> > Since xfree86 is Architecture: any, I've been suggested to have the
> > same on xfree86-driver-synaptics (during a discussion on #debian-mentors)
> [...]
>
> Personally I'd immediately change the architecture field and change it
> back once there is a xserver for s390. - You'll probably have to
> pester ftp-master to remove the old s390 binary, otherwise
> xfree86-driver-synaptics will be blocked by "out of date on s390".

I personally disagree:

- it's an ugly workaround
- it's hiding problems (s390 failures)
- there is no good reason to not support s390, so your removal request
  might even be rejected (I don't know of course what would really
  happen, I cannot speak for ftp-master of course).
- it adds extra workload to ftp-master, which is unnecessary
- it means two extra unnessesary uploads, causing extra load on the
  buildd's, again, quite unneeded

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar