dh_testdir: I have no package to build.

  dh_testdir claims it has no package to build. I think that this
shouldn't come as a surprise since its current working directory is /.
What I fail to see is how come / became the working directory. Here are
the last few lines of the build log:

    make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/buildd/nut-2.0.1-pre1/drivers'
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/buildd/nut-2.0.1-pre1'
    cc -Wall -O2 -s -o /tmp/buildd/nut-2.0.1-pre1/debian/wallWrapper \
                                    /tmp/buildd/nut-2.0.1-pre1/debian/wallWrapper.c
    touch build-stamp
     fakeroot debian/rules binary
    dpkg-architecture: warning: no utmp entry available and LOGNAME not defined; using uid of process (0)
    dpkg-architecture: warning: no utmp entry available and LOGNAME not defined; using uid of process (0)
    dh_testdir
    dh_testdir: I have no package to build
    make: *** [configure-stamp] Error 1
    pbuilder: Failed autobuilding of package

  The build-stamp from above is written to the package directory.
  I used to be able to build older versions of the package. However I
have changed debian/rules lately so that I am not sure if I haven't done
something wrong.
  It might be of importance that with previous versions I didn't get
those dpkg-architecture warnings here. I did get them on other places of
the build process. Are those warnings also the source of my problem?
  Here are the parts of debian/rules that I believe to be relevant:

    build-stamp:
    	dh_testdir
    	$(MAKE) all cgi snmp usb
    	$(CC) -Wall -O2 -s -o $(PWD)/debian/wallWrapper \
    	                                $(PWD)/debian/wallWrapper.c
    	touch $@

    install: build install-stamp
    install-stamp: DH_OPTIONS=
    install-stamp:
    	dh_testdir

    binary-indep: DH_OPTIONS=-i
    binary-indep: install

    binary-arch: DH_OPTIONS=-a
    binary-arch: install
    	dh_testdir

    binary: binary-indep binary-arch
    .PHONY: build clean binary-indep binary-arch binary configure install uninstall patch unpatch

  Any comments? Should I post the full debian/rules? How can I get a
utmp entry and/or a LOGNAME for pbuilder?

--
"If you have an apple and I have  an apple and we  exchange apples then
you and I will still each have  one apple. But  if you have an idea and I