Re: I've got a orphaned package.

Matthijs Mohlmann <matthijs@cacholong.nl> schrieb:

> On Sat, 2004-05-08 at 11:38, Frank Küster wrote:
>> Matthijs Mohlmann <matthijs@cacholong.nl> schrieb:
>>
>> > http://www.cacholong.nl/~matthijs/raidtools2/
>> >
>> > Maybe someone will check this packages and upload it
>>
>> You should also care a little for the package's bugs. #118962 should
>> either be "fixed" by documenting it, or handed on to upstream (or
>> both). #240384 is unclear, but to get it clear is also a maintainer's
>> task. Then there's at least two easy wishlist bugs, and two fixed in
>> non-maintainer-uploads.
>>
>> Regards, Frank
>
> The package contains, what i think, a serious bug. Do i need to set it
> to critical ?

If you think that the package should not be released into stable with
this bug, you should.

> Bug: #240384
>
> I think this bug needs serious testing. I'm going to setup a bochs
> environment with RAID and test :)

It seems to me that you should be somewhat slower and more careful with
your maintainer tasks. In the changelog of your latest packages you
write:

,----
|  * Changed to debhelper program (Closes #240384)
`----

I said previously that this is a bad changelog entry, because one
doesn't know which change exactly was made, and how this closes the
bug. But now it seems that you think that this doesn't fix the bug at
all, and need more testing.

You should never close a bug before you have not

- verified and kind of reproduced it
- tested that it indeed does no longer occur in the new version.

Furthermore, I would recommend not to increase the debian revision when
the first package wasn't uploaded at all. It might be a different case
if you think many people use the package from your homepage
(e.g. because it's listed at apt-get.org), but in this case there's no
point in increasing the version number.

Just to be sure: You are familiar with the Debian Developer's Reference?

Regards, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie