checkroot.sh script

Before attempting to post a bug to Debian directly, I wanted to ask the
people here if perhaps I am doing something incorrectly.

I installed Debian sarge on the sparc64 arch, then went out and grabbed
the 2.6.4 kernel source from kernel.org and built a new kernel. After
trying to boot this kernel, the checkroot.sh script would consistently
fail to remount / into read-only during this section:

if [ "$rootcheck" = yes ]
then
        #
        # Ensure that root is quiescent and read-only before fsck'ing.
        #
        if ! mount -n -o remount,ro $rootdev /
        then
                echo -n "*** ERROR!  Cannot fsck root fs because it is "
                echo    "not mounted read-only!"
                echo
                rootcheck=no
        fi
fi

mount says "you must specify the filesystem type". I modifed the
pertinent line to read:

        if ! mount -t $roottype -n -o remount,ro $rootdev /

and it now works correctly. I also had to modify the mount line further
into the script where the root fs is remounted to read-write.

I am running what seems to be an identical version of this script on my
x86 Debian sarge machine, and the -t is not there and it never
complains. Is there a difference between the versions of mount in x86
and sparc64? both of them claims to be mount-2.12 according to
--version.

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
--
Brian T Glenn
delink.net Internet Services