Re: lintian's warning

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 01:58:10PM +0100, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> > I'm packaging makeself[1] for Debian (#200151).
> > I've got the followoing errors/warnings:
> >
> > (fenio@domek)~/nowy$lintian makeself_2.1.2-1_i386.changes
> > E: makeself: binary-without-manpage makeself
> > W: makeself: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/lib/makeself/makeself-header
> > (fenio@domek)~/nowy$
> >
> > The first one isn't a problem for me (I'll write this manpage).
> > But what about second one? Makeself comes with some additional script
> > which doesn't comply to Debian's policy.
> >
> > It starts with:
> > cat << EOF  > "$archname"
> > #!/bin/sh
> > # This script was generated using Makeself $MS_VERSION
> >
> > What should I do with that?
> > Is it a suitable situation to use lintian's override feature?
> It shouldn't go in /usr/lib anyway, as this file is NOT
> architecture-dependent: it's the same whether you install it for i386 or
> sparc or whatever. It should go to /usr/share instead.
Ok, I've moved it to /usr/share.

> I don't know the purpose of this script, but without a #!-line, it will
> not always run fine, as people can have anything as shell, and certainly
> some shells won't understand that 'cat << EOF > "$archname"' line.
>
> If it is not intended to run directly from a shell, but rather used as
> input like: 'sh /usr/lib/makeself/makeself-header', or sourced from
> within as '/bin/sh' script, it should not be executable.
Well this script is used as a header of newly created archives, so it's
not intended to run directly. I've `chmod`ed it to 644 and moved to
/usr/share.

> Hope this helps,
Yes, your comments were very helpful. Thanks a lot.

Maybe someone is interested in sponsoring this packaged?
It is now on http://skawina.eu.org/makeself/

Some information about it:

License: GPL

It's related with #200151.

Hope to find some sponsor ;)
I'm waiting for DAM approval right now, so I'm not developer yet, and
can't upload it myself.

regards
fEnIo

--
      _     Bartosz Feński aka fEnIo | mailto:fenio@o2.pl | pgp:0x13fefc40
    _|_|_    32-050 Skawina - Głowackiego 3/15 - w. małopolskie - Polska