Re: Use /var/lib/dpkg/status directly

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:36:30 +0100, Markus Braun <mbr@debian.org>
posted to gmane.linux.debian.devel.mentors:
 > for a script I'm writing I need to get information for several packages.
 > Because "dpkg -s ..." is slow I thought about using grep/awk on
 > /var/lib/dpkg/status directly to get the information. I'm not sure if this
 > is a valid possibility or if direct access to /var/lib/dpkg/status should be
 > avoided.
 > Can someone comment on this please?

It's not particularly discouraged I guess as that is what grep-dctrl
does anyway. Perhaps you should try that instead of rolling your own
awk script, though? <http://packages.debian.org/grep-dctrl>

/* era */

--
formail -s procmail <http://www.iki.fi/era/spam/ >http://www.euro.cauce.org/